Tapioca pudding tastes like childhood. Serve warm or cold – a bowl of comfort either way.
from Cook’s Country magazine, June/July 2010
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Minute tapioca
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
- Combine milk, egg and yolk, ¼ cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, and Minute tapioca in medium saucepan; let sit for 5 minutes. Bring mixture to boil over medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Off heat, stir in vanilla and scrape pudding into medium bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- With electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream and remaining granulated sugar until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes.
- Gently fold half of whipped cream into pudding. Serve with dollop of remaining whipped cream.