Yum, yum, yummy yum. Little Debbie’s Oatmeal Cream Pies are fabulous, but this recipe blows them away. These are the essence of chewy goodness. I can’t recommend them enough. They’re best eaten at least a day after they’re made, if you can wait that long!
Oatmeal Cream Pies
Adapted from Beantown Baker
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp boiling water
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp unflavored gelatin (about 1 1/2 packets)
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup water (divided)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces vegetable shortening
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside or use parchment paper.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and eggs in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, sift together the salt, flour, and baking powder. Add to the creamed mixture. Add the cinnamon and oats. Mix well.
- In a small dish, add the baking soda to the boiling water, and then stir the mixture into the rest of the batter. Mix well.
- Drop by the tablespoon onto the baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake until the cookies are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Leave on cookie sheet until set; then move to a wire rack to cool.
- In a small measuring cup, sprinkle the gelatin over 1/3 cup cold water. Let stand, stirring once or twice until the gelatin softens, about 5 minutes.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together the granulated sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup hot water until well blended. Continuing to stir, raise the heat to high and bring to a full boil. Continue boiling for 30 seconds. Immediately remove from the heat. Stir in the gelatin mixture until it dissolves completely.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the vanilla.
- With a mixer on medium speed, beat for 20 seconds. Gradually raise the speed to high and beat until the mixture is stiffened, white, very fluffy, and cooled to barely warm, about 7 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the powdered sugar.
- Add the shortening and beat until completely smooth.
Match similarly sized cookies. Spread filling over one cookie and place a matching cookie on top.