A bag full of pitiful looking apples has been sitting on my back porch for about four weeks. Full of good intentions, I picked a couple dozen off of my cousin’s backyard apple tree. They didn’t look so hot even right off the tree, but an apple is an apple. Slowly but surely, as they always do, the days marched right past me and the bag of apples sat untouched. A few more spots appeared on each piece of fruit; one turned to complete mush. Armed with a three day weekend, though, I (along with my superhero powers) turned that half rotten bag of apples into this beautiful piece of art:
And 30 minutes of medium-low heat later:
And that is why I love cooking. You start with something, anything, and turn it into a little bite of joy.
recipe adapted from Taste of Home
- 8 cups apples, chopped and peeled
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- several shakes of ground cinnamon
- In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; mash apples (a potato masher works well) until sauce achieves desired consistency.
- Serve warm or cold.