Yum, yum, double yum. This is the tastiest dessert I’ve ever made, ever, by far. That may say more about my cooking skills than the cake, but I promise it’s good. Imagine a chocolate eclair with more filling, whipped cream, and chocolate.
The picture doesn’t do it justice – next time I make it, I’ll have to take a closeup of one piece, showing of all four of its glorious layers. The base is made of eggs, butter, flour, and water. The next layer up is the cream – pudding mix, milk, and cream cheese. Then comes some whipping cream and sugar whipped to perfection, and to top it off, the chocolate layer (chocolate chips, butter, milk, and powdered sugar). You do need to refrigerate it for a few hours before it’s ready for it’s debut, so starting this early in the morning or even the night before an event is to your benefit.
Chocolate Eclair Cake
I use a recipe from my husband’s aunt, but there’s a similar recipe at Big Oven.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large package vanilla instant pudding
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened (room temperature)
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 2 tbs sugar
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- To Make Cake: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring the water and butter to boil. Add flour; stir. Remove from heat and add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition until smooth. Spread in an ungreased 9×13″ baking pan. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the pudding mix, milk and softened cream cheese together until thoroughly blended. Spread pudding mixture over the baked and cooled eclair crust.
- Using an electric mixture with a whisk attachment, whip together whipping cream and sugar. Spread over pudding mixture.
- Melt chocolate chips and butter. Remove from heat and add confectioners sugar and milk alternately until a thin glaze forms. While still warm, pour or drizzle over whipped cream. Refrigerate overnight.