Kicking off my homemade-a-day is a favorite in our house: banana bread. I used my go-to banana bread recipe from allrecipes.com, but this time replaced half of the white flour with wheat. We’re trying to be a bit healthier in our house, but to be honest, I just ran out of white flour. (I know, impossible, right? You think I’d have noticed by now.) Keeping in the spirit of health, I left out the dose of chocolate chips that I usually add. The bread is no worse for the wear for the changes, though – my husband even claims he prefers this version. We’ve only eaten it warm, but hopefully the cooled version will be just as tasty.
Banana Banana Bread
Adapted from allrecipes.com
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4-5 mashed overripe bananas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a mixer, cream butter and brown sugar. On low speed, add bananas (broken into 3″ chunks) and and eggs until blended.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt to top of banana mixture. Lightly stir dry ingredients together, then stir entire mixture just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap to store.